I got a question from a future walker about avian influenza (AI) on the trail and how that affects the routes with closures or detours. There has been some information in the side bar for a while now, but I got some updates from the office. This information also includes detours in place to prevent foot-and-mouth entering areas with livestock. The island is also dealing with an outbreak of pine wilt in its trees.
This post went up on February 25, 2015 and the notices will be in place until further notice.
– Route 9 is closed due to pine wilt prevention and protection. Do not walk this route.
– Route 1, 3, 4, 11, 13 all have marked detours in place as preventative measures against the potential spread of foot-and-mouth. The detour path will only have orange ribbons to follow.
– Route 2 has a detour in place at the start for AI. This actually shortens the route (pink line in photo).
– Route 13 and 16 have short detours in place at one location each. Again see the pink line.
– Route 21 is open to walkers, but you should stick to the trail.
If you want any more specific information just send a message.